this project revolved around understanding and getting data regarding student insecurities. we were a team of three with industrial, fashion, and (myself) communications design background. being a sensitive topic, getting data from institutional sources or students seemed like an impossible task. we started working on building our first porotype of ‘bobby’ (our data collection tool). the points that we had to keep in mind were how to create data while maintaining the participant’s identity anonymous and how to approach (tone) this subject. with bobby, we were able to start the dialogue towards this critical and persistent topic of student insecurities on our campus.
details were considered while designing bobby- from its physical structure, graphic design content on him, to how the stickers need to be developed. the first prototype was quite successful; we had many hits within an hour. upon thinking further and questioning, we realized how we could modify bobby. we made him taller 6 ft- almost impossible to miss and added color only as students voice having each color specify a particular output.